Monday, July 20, 2009

I'm still learning! This morning we had a tour of the Kibbutz.  It is really a community that could, if needed, survive on its own.  They have a lively agriculture business:  avocado groves, cotton and chickpea fields and dairy cattle.  They also have a factory that produces the largest vegetarian burger meat in the country.  They have their own community grocery store, community center, cemetery and school.  They have first, second and third generations living in the Kibbutz, although there are many family members who do not live in the Kibbutz.  It is really an amazing concept.

We then visited the museum and looked at artifacts collected by those who founded it.  They were quite varied and added to my knowledge base of Holocaust artifacts.  This was followed by more "teacher" workshops on using testimony, memoirs and diaries, as well as 
a session by the educational staff on a program they do with Israeli students.

When we returned to the hotel, I walked the four blocks to the sea to catch the sunset.  It was pretty hazy so I really couldn't see the sun, but was able to capture some color.  I'll try again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.