I'm in Warsaw, Poland today. We arrived late yesterday afternoon, had a few hours to walk around and then had a wonderful lamb and wine dinner. My hotel is wonderful! Through some mix-up by the hotel staff, my roommate and I were assigned separate rooms, so I had a room all to myself last night after nearly 24 hours of travel. It is a "mini" suite with fabulous linens so needless to say I had a wonderful night of sleep.
Today we visited the area of the area of the Warsaw ghetto. This is the site of the only Jewish synagogue that survived in Warsaw (there were literally hundreds before the war). It survived because the Nazi army used it as a horse stable and storage location.
We also saw the only remaining buildings from the ghetto, as the Nazi's went through the entire area and burned the buildings one by one to make sure no one remained as they liquidated the ghetto. That is the photo I posted above. You can see photos of residents of the ghetto that have been placed on the building.
We toured the Jewish cemetery, several memorials to the ghetto uprising, and the Jewish Historical Society. It has been a full day, but very interesting. Tonight we are attending a concert at the presidential palace and then dinner. Tomorrow we travel to our first camp--I'm sure it will not be an easy day.
Hope each of you is well; the weather here is great--about 70 degrees. It has rained on and off, but the sun always comes out after it quits. Stay tuned for your next history lesson!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.